What are my responsibilities as a parent?
- Be on time! It is very important that parents get their kids to class BEFORE it begins. Late students must ask for permission to join the class.
- Take your shoes off at the door.
- Set your cell phone to quiet.
- All students must sign in on the attendance sheets located on the counter.
- It is mandatory for students to bow twice upon entering and leaving the dojang, once to the flag and once to the head instructor. This is not required for parents.
- Talk quietly during class. Do not talk to your child during the class.
- If you have other children who are observing the class, try to keep them quiet.
- Address the instructors as Master Norman, Ms. Stone, Mr. Marcia, etc. as this sets a good example for the kids.
How can I help?
- Volunteer! We always need help at tournaments and fundraising activities. You do not need experience and all training will be provided.
- Become a part of the Board and help make decisions about how the club is run. Board members save $50 per student in registration fees EACH session (up to a maximum of $100 per family).
- Participate in fundraising. We’re always looking for new ideas to raise money and keep our registration costs low.
Testing occurs every 3 months and is the process of obtaining a higher rank (belt colour). It is not mandatory that your child tests, but it is expected if he/she is ready. Master Norman will invite students that he thinks are ready to test towards the end of a term by giving them a form. Testing fees are $40.
Before testing, it is important to help prepare your child. Study the manual together, as your child will be required to answer questions about the history and techniques used in Taekwon-Do. They will also have to know their patterns, kicks, and step sparring for their level.
The club provides sparring equipment, although you must leave a security deposit, that is refunded when the equipment is returned.